Because I'm literally writing new stuff about my life while sitting on my bed!
My new bed!
Manny, our chef, decided to move to this cabin that he can live alone in...so I got his old room! It was pretty dark feeling and dirty when I got into it, but I cleaned it up and put a bright bed spread on my bed and such and now it's just great! I love having my own room! And I get a full size bed :) I feel really grateful to be here, get my own room, live with nice people, and love just about everything about this place!
I still can't believe that I'm living in ALASKA!
I don't have much time to blog, but I'll try to summarize some of the exciting things that have happened the past few days.
I went kayaking yesterday! Brian and I kayaked all the way to Russian Island, which is the island that seriously looks just how I imagine Ireland would look. The water was really calm and there was a pretty pink sunset that showed up on our way back! We also saw some sea otters and tried to chase them in our kayaks but they swim pretty fast. It was fun to get to do a little bit of kayaking. I love being able to kayak, go on the boats, ride the four wheeler, and do all that fun stuff!
We have a new set of guests here right now; two boys who just graduated high school and their mom. They're really nice people!
So what Corseina (my roommate and partner for all this stuff) have been doing daily is...
-We tilled the entire garden, then made rows and mounds which took a lot of time and effort!
-We clean the cabin of the guests daily. We give them fresh towels, make their beds, sweep, and tidy things up.
-Helping Manny in the kitchen. This is our main job and the main reason why we were hired, I'd say. We're kind of like "sous chefs." We have a routine for both breakfast and lunch, but we also do whatever Manny tells us to do, which is sometimes stressful, but fun! I've been learning new cooking techniques and I love the challenge of trying to set things up and clean everything up as fast as I can!
-We haul lumber and things like that, which I love! I also learned how to weed wack, which I'm excited about! I like that kind of stuff, haha! My future husband better be okay with me doing that stuff some of the time :)
-We pick up pine cones. We still have a lot to go and we haven't had as much time to pick them up lately, but we're supposed to pick up every pine cone (actually they're spruce cones but whatever) that is in sight of the guests, which is going to take us ages but is kind of fun work!
Those are our main tasks each day, though we do other little odd jobs. I love the variety! We wake up at about 6:00 A.M to get into the kitchen by 7:00 A.M and then we do all of that stuff and usually end around 8:30 P.M. We have pretty long days and don't always get a break, but I love it here and am happy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments