I am the worst at blog post titles! So since I'm excited that it's already been 2 weeks, that's going to be the title :)
I have 14 more weeks to go and time is flying by pretty fast! I think time will start flying by even faster when guests start coming regularly and Manny, our chef, is back. Since he's been gone, we've been doing a lot of picking up pine cones, gardening, and deep cleaning cabins. Once he's back, we'll be more in a routine, doing our daily kitchen tasks and helping him cook, as well as still cleaning cabins, gardening, and picking up pine cones until almost every last pine cone is picked up! Trust me, that'll be quite an accomplishment. There are THOUSANDS of pine cones all over!
The past few days have been sort of rough. Yesterday was better than the two previous days, but man, those two days before weren't the best. For the first time since I've been here, I was feeling REALLY homesick and a little, just down in the dumps. It was also very stormy and depressing outside, but once the sun came out, my spirits lifted and everything felt happier! I have to admit that I sort of liked the crummy weather, in a way, because in my "despair," I went out into the storm and picked up pine cones and I felt like I was in some sad, dramatic movie! It was great! I'm easily entertained...haha
Two days ago, Corseina and I went with Luke, Jordan, and Brian to Russian Island, a little island about 10 minutes away from our island, to shoot rabbits. I've already been to Russian Island once but not all around it like we got to do the other day. It was BEAUTIFUL. I just kept thinking, "Wait, am I in Ireland or Alaska?" All of the cliffs and fields of green grass and waves crashing into the cliffs, with the sunset in the background, totally reminded me of what I think Ireland would feel and look like.
Above is a picture Corseina took when we were sitting on top of the boat, on the ride to Russian Island!
Yesterday we went to the Salmon rivers with the guys and helped them pull logs and branches out of the rivers, so that the Salmon would have a clear path to go up in a few months. They swim upstream, while pregnant, in order to get to the lake, have their babies, and die. Then their babies stay in the lake for about a year or two and then they swim downstream, into the ocean. It kinda felt good being able to save all those salmon! But not really, since we were just saving them so that the guys and the clients could catch them and eat them... :)
There were all these branches and huge logs that we had to step over and under, next to the river and it felt like we were on some long, adventurous, difficult journey and Corseina, being the Lord of the Rings "nerd" that she is, kept joking that we were on the trek to Moridor. It totally felt like we were though, ha! And the fact that she was carrying a large staff that made her look like Gandolf made it even more realistic. Okay, enough about Lord of the Rings, haha.
After saving the Salmon, we came back to our island, ate chicken soup, picked up pine cones, and I tilled the garden. Then we watched a movie with Shannon! She was so cute about it! She told the guys that we were having a girl night, so we got to sit on the couch during dinner and watch our chick-flick, and eat our delicious stir fry that Luke made :) It really did feel like a girls night! The boys even cleaned up dinner for us and made us donut holes, but I think they were really in there making donut holes so that they could continue watching the movie ;) They got pretty into it. Brian was even shouting stuff like, "That's the stuck up girls husband with that girl! He's cheating!" They were totally into it, but then towards the end, after an especially romantic scene, they got up from the table and Brian was like, "I'm gonna go clean my gun," and then Jordan got up and said, "I'm gonna go find something to clean too." HAHA. It was super funny.
I really am happy here and so glad that I came. Some things are difficult, like knowing what to do with so little structure at the moment, being away from home, dealing with different types of personalities, etc, but I'm so glad that I came. I feel like I'm already learning so much and growing a lot!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments