It still doesn't feel real that I'm in Alaska. I wonder if it ever will!
Well, I need to get to bed soon so I'm going to keep this short but I have had a fantastic day, despite the fact that I woke up at 3:15 AM in order to leave for the airport on time and get on my plane at 6:00 AM. I barely slept because I was extremely sick and I was way too excited to sleep! It felt like the first day of school, but actually even more exciting than that.
I was very tired, a little bit grumpy, and somewhat nervous and fearful for part of the day, but then all of a sudden all of my nerves went away as soon as I arrived in Anchorage, Alaska. I just felt like that was where I needed to be. It was funny how I knew it was right to go all along, these past few months, and then I could finally see why once I reached Alaska. I just felt this sense of peace. I was no longer nervous about meeting Corseina or anything else. Just excited!
Also, I've got to mention that this little old Asian mans that sat in between this big guy and I on our flight to Kodiak. He didn't speak a lick of English and when the plane took off, I was taking pictures like a mad woman, out the window and I don't think he really knew what personal space was, because he leaned in real real real real close and told me to take more pictures. He was pointing at my phone and then pointing out the window, as if to say, "Take more, take more!" I thought it was cute, haha. Then the entire rest of the flight, he had his elbows on the arm rest, but they were sticking out far into me and the other guy. I didn't think that was so cute, haha. It was a little bit annoying and uncomfortable, but I just had to realize that he probably didn't know what was socially acceptable and what not, and he seemed like a very nice man who wouldn't purposely try to be inconsiderate.
When I got to Kodiak, I was picked up by the SWEETEST girl. She took me to Andrews Airways (the float plane place) on this big old bumpy old fashioned bus. We drove through Kodiak and I honestly felt like I was in a different country. I felt like I was in a movie about a girl moving to Alaska for the summer and seeing all these new exciting things. It was already better than I expected it to be! I was so excited and kept telling the girl how pretty it was and she even stopped the bus on the side of the road so that I could take a picture. I'd post the picture, but it really doesn't do Kodiak justice. It felt SO different than any place I've ever been. There were boats lined up in rows and rows and everything felt so Alaska-ey. I don't know how else to explain it. Alaska really does feel different than anywhere that I've ever been.
So when we got back to Andrews Airways, I had to wait for Corseina, my roommate, who I hadn't met yet, for about an hour and a half because two of her flights were delayed so we were a bit behind schedule. I talked to all the Andrews Airways workers and sorta felt like they were my friends by the end of the hour and a half haha! They were all SOOOOOOOOOO nice. I am kind of thinking that Alaskans might be about 100 times nicer than people from the other states, but I probably shouldn't make such a big assumption. But seriously, they were all SO friendly and I felt like I could talk to them so easily. I even plugged my phone into their wall and went outside on their dock to admire the beauty. Andrews Airways is RIGHT ON THE OCEAN! I just can't explain it...ugh haha the planes literally take off and you can see them taking off from the water right through the window in the shop.
Here's a picture that I took of the dock where the float planes are held. I was so excited and just snapping as many pictures as I could and just sitting there enjoying it, too.
I even had time to take a picture of my snack that I was given on the plan from Anchorage to Kodiak. Please someone, do tell me what an "everything stick" is. Uh, what?
I was so happy. I just felt like I belonged there, like I was meant to be there. I've accepted other jobs and felt kind of hesitant about being there, like as an EFY counselor especially, but when I got to Alaska, I just knew I was supposed to be there, despite that it is somewhat out of my comfort zone (aren't all first jobs at first? haha)
Once Corseina arrived, one of the nice workers that I had gotten to know a bit, quickly loaded us into the float plane and we were off! It was a bumpy ride and made me feel just as sick as when I get motion sickness in a car. It was not like riding a commercial plane. I never feel sick on commercial planes but I felt really sick on this plane! But it was absolutely beautiful so I was distracted from my nausciousness a bit. We were flying right over islands with trees and ponds on them. The most beautiful scenes I've probably ever seen! But the nice plane flying man gave me a handy dandy bag to throw up in if I needed it. He said that I could keep it for a souvineer.
I looked out the window and said through my microphone thingy, "That's a cool lake on that island over there."
And the worker was like, "That's a pond and there's a lot of them all over the islands."
I looked around and surely enough there were many many ponds all over, not just that one that I had pointed out, so then I was just like, "Well I just really like that one a lot."
Haha it was funnier when it happened....
Below is a picture I took while on the float plane.
And here's a shot of our island, Afognak. It's SO pretty!
When we landed on the water and saw the lodges, everyone was outside ready to greet us and get stuff (groceries, etc.) out of the float plane. There was Shannon, Luke, Josh, two guys around Corseina and I's age, Jordan, and Brittany. It was kind of awkward landing and riding into the dock with all of them just there waiting. We were cracking up as we slowly made our way to the dock because I was in a panic and so nervous asking all these questions like, "Are our new co-workers intimidating?" etc. while our new co-workers were all just waiting for us on the dock. The pilot knew them already, which is why I was in a panic asking him. Everyone seems to know everyone.
Brittany showed us around the lodge. It is so much better than I expected! We have such a cute little room and by the way, I love my roommate! SHE IS SO SWEET! And we already laugh non stop with each other! Maybe partly because we're sleep deprived...but also just because we're already becoming good friends!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments