This is just going to be a short blog post because I want to get to bed ASAP, but I thought I'd just recap on my day, since each day here is pretty dang interesting and I want to be able to look back and remember as much as I can! Also, I'll add pictures to this post once my internet on my phone is working better.
We got to be in the kitchen by 11:00 AM today, so I slept in until 9:00 AM, which was GREAT! :) I took about 2 hours just showering and getting ready. It was nice having so much time. Corseina caught the cold that I had/have, which I feel so bad about! The first 2 days of the sickness are AWFUL. Worse than any cold I've ever had, so I completely understood how horrible she felt when she woke up this morning. She was able to stay in bed and rest all day, so I did everything on my own, which was okay with me because I got to get the hang of things more.
I helped prepare brunch and then brought Corseina some soup that Manny made her. He made the soup especially for her! He wasn't going to make soup, since we have left overs, but he's so considerate and decided he'd make it for her. When I brought her the soup and said that Manny made it for her, she was SO happy and even took a picture of it, haha. That man is AMAZING! He was so worried about Corseina and called her a "sick bird." He said, "How's the sick bird?" He's so funny and has really taken us under his wing, teaching us a lot about cooking and making sure that we're always happy and comfortable. He's very patient with us. He could probably get a lot of the cooking done faster without us, but he takes the time to teach us how to do things. I guess eventually, when we get the hang of it, it'll help that we know how to make stuff!
After breakfast, I went upstairs for a bit, but then was called down by Josh or Jordan (not sure who called me down) and they asked if I'd help cut down limbs on a tree, so Jordan and I headed over to another side of our property on the island, and we put these earbuds in our ears that made it so the chainsaw wasn't so loud and he cut the limbs off of this HUGE tree. After he'd cut a limb, I'd go and get it and throw it in a pile, so it'd be out of his way. I'm going to be really strong by the time I leave this place! We did that for about an hour and then Jordan said we had some time to hike up to the pond, so we hiked for about 45 minutes to and back from the pond. There were all these moss covered trees everywhere that reminded me of Doctor Seuss! It was so pretty and the pond was gorgeous. Jordan took a picture for me on his phone, but he hasn't sent it to me yet.
After that, we took a trail back to the lodges and I went upstairs, then I gardened for about 5 minutes but pulling the grass out of the garden gets old REALLY fast and I was exhausted so I went upstairs and took a short nap. I'll do more gardening tomorrow. I was so tired that I fell right asleep!
We had potatoes, venison (I think it was venison), and carrots for dinner. It was DELICIOUS. Then we had angel food cake with rhubarb sauce on top for Shannon's birthday and we sang to her. Manny helped me clean the kitchen since Corseina was sick in bed.
Then I went back to the cabin and Corseina and I talked for awhile. She told me that she had been laying in bed wondering what I was doing all day. I laughed at that and thought it was funny, since I've always wondered if people (by people, I really mean like guys or a certain guy) ever wonder what I'm doing during the day and that's what she was doing all day. I can't explain this very well, haha. Being a person is funny!
Corseina and I are so similar in a lot of ways and we have a lot of fun! Today we were shouting at Jose out our window, which we thought was funny. I'm so very glad that she's a nice girl that's easy to talk to and fun to be around. THANK GOODNESS.
Corseina and I were planning on watching a movie and we even stole away into the kitchen to grab all sorts of food to snack on, but then I ran into Luke and remembered that he had told me to tell him when I was done with dinner so that we could go out on the boat and feed the rabbits on Russian Island. Oops, he'd been waiting for me and Manny for awhile. Manny and Jordan didn't end up coming, so Luke and I went out and I GOT TO DRIVE THE BOAT. With practically no help! It was so beautiful and Alaskaney looking everywhere. I saw a sea otter just floating in the water. I can't wait to see huge whales by the side of the boat. When we got to Russian Island, we through corn all over for the rabbits to come eat, so that they'd be there eating in the morning and the boys could come and shoot them. Kind of sad, now that I think of it, haha.
Then Luke drove the boat back home and we passed some ginormous rock arches on the way back. Now I'm back at the staff cabin, sitting on the couch, about to maybe watch a movie, and listening to the boys music that I can hear from the shop. They're listening to oldies. They always drink and hang out in the shop at night. I can never tell if they're drunk or not. Maybe they haven't gotten drunk yet, since I haven't seen any difference in how they act yet. The girls from last summer said they get pretty funny sometimes. They're a good group of guys! Very respectful and helpful and patient. They tease us about not drinking, but we just laugh along and tell them we're not going to drink no matter what!
So that was my day! My life is completely different from anything I've ever experienced and I LOVE IT! I'm very thankful that I decided to come here and I'm looking forward to the rest of the summer. Each day goes by so quickly and is so fun and exciting to me. I just stare out my window and think about how lucky I am to be here. I feel like I've stepped into some family reunion with all these cool people that are all related to each other. And I feel like I'm becoming part of the family, which is a good feeling.
Jobs I do (Ranked in the order of how much I like them-#1 being my favorite job):
1. Prepping for breakfast/dinner, cleaning up after breakfast/dinner, making lunches
2. Hawling wood, doing anything that involves heavy outdoor work
(Acually #1 and #2 are tied)
3. Cleaning cabins
4. Gardening
Soon we'll be skinning and filleting (not sure what filleting even means) fish, which might end up being #5 on the list, but who knows! Maybe I'll like it! I didn't think I'd like the hawling lumber and heavy outdoor work as much as I do. It's one of my favorite things to do! I'm learning so much!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I loved reading this, Coral. I think it's wonderful when people are willing to go outside of their comfort zone and try something new..and then realize they like it!
ReplyDelete